Lighting accessories, such as LED motion sensors are devices used to switch on/off your lights without using your hands. This device is especially useful in the kitchen paired with your under-cabinet lights. When you're cooking, your hands can get very wet or dirty, making it... Read More
Lighting accessories, such as LED motion sensors are devices used to switch on/off your lights without using your hands. This device is especially useful in the kitchen paired with your under-cabinet lights. When you're cooking, your hands can get very wet or dirty, making it difficult to switch on your lights if you suddenly need them. If you have this sensor, all you have to do is swipe your hand under it to turn them on, and you can continue mixing or measuring your ingredients! Save yourself time by washing your hands every time you need to turn on/off your lights.
Aside from that, you can also incorporate an LED motion sensor with your lights to increase the security of your home. In your backyard, when someone tries to jump over your fence, you’ll be immediately alerted since your lights will turn on.
How to wire a motion sensor to an existing light?
While wiring an LED motion sensor is not as hard as you think, having no idea about electricals can render this task difficult. So, when in doubt, consult an electrician and don't just wing it since it's hazardous to dabble with electrics. However, if you know what to do but need to confirm the steps, here is a simple guide:
- Select a motion sensor kit and ensure that your existing fixtures or control box has a knockout screw.
- Switch off the power and remove the cover.
- Detach the insert where you want to mount the LED motion sensor.
- Run the wires into your lighting fixture and secure the sensor into your lights.
- Link the hot wire running from the house to the sensor. Connect similar coloured cables.
- Make necessary adjustments to the settings of your sensors, and you are good to go!
How to reset outdoor motion sensor lights?
If you want to reset your outdoor motion sensor lights, here are some ways that you can try:
- Turn the circuit breaker off for 30 seconds or longer as the model requires. Some will need a few seconds, but others will demand an hour to reset fully.
- Switch on and off the light switch, leaving it off for around two to five seconds.
- Speedily turn on and then off the lights about four times before leaving it on. If the lights stay on, turn them off for about five seconds. Then turn it back on.
- Unplug your lights for a few seconds and plug them back in. Then, turn your lights on.
How do motion sensors work?
There are several types of sensors that you can use. Here are some of the most common in the market and how they work:
- Active ultrasonic motion detector – it produces ultrasonic waves that reflect an object, bouncing the information back to the emission point.
- PIR sensor – it detects infrared energy that humans and animals release as heat. When the heat intensifies, it signals the device to trigger a sound or your lights.
- Microwave or tomographic technology – emits radiation waves that, when disrupted, trigger a function.