Decking lights are a particular type of small outdoor lights that are used to illuminate the garden or any outdoor lounges making it usable even when the sun sets. Having a space in your backyard that you can use to chill out during a hot summer night... Read More
Decking lights are a particular type of small outdoor lights that are used to illuminate the garden or any outdoor lounges making it usable even when the sun sets. Having a space in your backyard that you can use to chill out during a hot summer night will help you relax and unwind. However, these lights are not only for the summer! If you plan to have a family barbecue, it won't matter if it's day or night since you'll have a space fully lit and ready to keep the party going!
Typically, these lights are installed on decking boards to mark paths, perimeters, walkways, and steps. However, you can let your imagination fly and get creative with your application!
How to install decking lights?
Installing decking lights is not that complicated. However, be very cautious when drilling holes and wiring your lights. Unless you plan to attach a plug & plug your lights in inside your house, you should hire an electrician to wire them into the mains or install an outdoor socket. If you're doing the former then here’s a simple guide:
- Check if you have a socket within the 5-metre range of your deck. If you don't, call for an electrician to have one fitted.
- If you're adding your lights to a fascia, remove it so you can avoid bolts and joists when planning the positioning of your fixtures.
- If you’re adding your lights on top of your deck, ensure that it’s in the centre of the deck board and not over the joists.
- Layout the lights to the position you want, but keep in mind the length of the cable between each light.
- Once you’re set with the positioning, mark them to the wood.
- Reattach the fascia and drill a hole with a correct-sized drill bit.
- Remove the dust and/or sand the hole so you can feed the cables through.
- Use a drill to create holes through the joists so you can connect the cables.
- Fit your lights in holes where you plan to put them.
- Once all your lights are in place, connect one head to the next in a series.
- Add the blanking plug to the last socket and connect the driver to the socket closest to the plug.
- Place the main cable and the driver behind or inside the deck to keep them out of sight.
- Check if the lights are working and secure the deck board back in place.
Can you put lights in composite decking?
You can add lights to composite decking to give it a stunning glow after sunset. Illuminating your deck will be an aesthetic way of keeping it safe to use at night, particularly if it's elevated without any railings. Aside from that, it will give you more time to enjoy the outdoors, especially during nights when you want to have a glass of wine and relax.
Decking lights are great because they can transform a standard deck into something exciting, refreshing, and fabulous. Also, a stunning deck will help increase the value of your home if you decide to put it on the market.
What are the best decking lights?
We are confident and proud to say that our selection of deck lights is the best that you can get! We have various sizes, finishes, light colours, and dimming functions that you can choose from. Aside from that, all our deck lights are LED meaning they are energy-efficient, eco-friendly, and last for a long time. All our deck lights are IP rated for outdoor conditions, so you can safely install them outdoors. They can withstand any weather conditions.